I think the true gardener is a lover of his flowers, not a critic of them.
I think the true gardener is the reverent servant of Nature, not her truculent, wife-beating master.
I think the true gardener, the older he grows, should more and more develop a humble, grateful and uncertain spirit.
Reginald Farrer, In a Yorkshire Garden, 1909



Friday, March 2, 2012

One and a half years hiatus

Spider lily
Been one and a half years since my first post and new blog on gardening. Created this blog with an intention to share my experiences but became too engrossed in learning and expanding my plants collection and were preoccupied with fighting off pests. With the world wide web as my faithful reference point and after going through the many trials and errors over this time period, I thought its perhaps time to reboot my blog and start recording what I have learned and experience.

Hopefully in weeks and months to come, I will be able to allocate some free time to pen down some useful information about my experiences in container gardening, growing mushrooms and vermicomposting.

When I started off, I still remember visiting a number of local nurseries to search for decorative and flower-type plants. It was a total new experience for me. With very little knowledge, I was basing my decision more on the physical look, size and color of the plants. Of course, cost was an important factor too. :)

Some of my early collections that I could remember were powder puff, japanese rose, blue butterfly, lantana (bunga tahi ayam), orchid, dianthus, impatien, vinca, peace lily, bird of paradise (strelitzia), snake plant (sansevieria), spider lily, pentas, butterfly stripe/swallowtail (christia obcordata), purple shamrock (oxalis atropurpurea) and a few others. Some continue to bloom and grow, some died off and some have stopped flowering.

Over time, I moved on to fruit trees and then herb plants. These are the two main categories of plants that interest me most. I have also started to try my hands on growing vegetables. With limited land size and space, I decided to focus my energy and time on them. At least, there's some fruits to enjoy and some herbs and vegetables to use either for cooking or general health. Flowers are certainly nice to look at but only for a few days. Still, its refreshing to see my japanese rose blooms even if its only for a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Appreciate it. Will do my best to reply. Drop your blog link too so that I can pay you a visit. Cheers!