I think the true gardener is a lover of his flowers, not a critic of them.
I think the true gardener is the reverent servant of Nature, not her truculent, wife-beating master.
I think the true gardener, the older he grows, should more and more develop a humble, grateful and uncertain spirit.
Reginald Farrer, In a Yorkshire Garden, 1909



Saturday, March 3, 2012

Herbs collection

Spent the morning of the day taking pictures of the various plants that I have accumulated over time. Here you will see a pic of my herbs collection. It was raining heavily with strong winds last nite and so some of the leaves' underneath were covered with soil. Will need to let them dry out before removing the dirt.

One of the things I learned is not to have the leaves dirtied by the soil as this increases the risk of infection from bacteria/fungus found in the soil. Similarly, there have been advices to avoid watering the leaves as wet leaves encourages the risk of infection from airborne bacteria. I normally water the soil area to keep the leaves dry unless the leaves are too close to the soil like my sand ginger leaf.

At a local nursery, one of the staffs there had informed me that when plants are exposed to strong sunlight and heat and then to sudden rain, the leaves will burn at the tips and later turn brown. Wow, I didn't know that. I am still not sure how true it is because if it is, then its not so much caused by fungus as I would have thought but simply by the drastic change in temperature. What do you think? Could it be possible?

Herbs collection
A collection of herbs may look less colorful unlike a collection of flowers but herbs are precious plants due to their herbal and medicinal properties. Among the herbs that I have collected thus far are cat's whiskers, wild betel/pepper leaf (daun kaduk), indian borage, sabah snake grass, pennywort (pegaga), curry leaf (daun kari), sage, stevia, lemon balm, peppermint, thai basil, sand ginger leaf (daun cekur), wild cosmos (ulam raja), rodent tuber (keladi tikus), water celery/dropwort/parsley (daun selom) and mugwort/wormwood (artemisia).

They are all, as you can see, part of my container gardening. Will be introducing them individually with pics in time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Appreciate it. Will do my best to reply. Drop your blog link too so that I can pay you a visit. Cheers!